Night works on George Street to upgrade watermain connection
George Street, between Charlotte and Margaret Streets will be closed to traffic in one or both directions, at night, for five weeks starting Thursday 12 August 2021.
Night works are scheduled from Sunday to Thursday between 8pm and 5am over five weeks (excluding Friday and Saturday nights). The night works are necessary to minimise impacts to the road network during the day.
All night works are subject to weather and site conditions, if required these works will be rescheduled to the next available date.
Work will occur on George Street, between Charlotte and Margaret streets to upgrade the existing watermain located in the road corridor.
Temporary traffic changes:
For in-bound city traffic on George Street, there will be a detour in place along Mary and Edward Streets. For traffic on Mary Street, George Street will be left turn only during these works.
Access to 1 William Street will be maintained via Gardens Point Road.
What to expect:
Night works will include the following:
- A temporary road closure of George St, between Charlotte and Margaret streets at night requiring detours
- Noisy works including saw cutting, excavation, vacuum trucks and jack hammering
- Steel plates will be installed over the work trenches in the road each day
- Movement of heavy vehicles and equipment
- Reversing beepers and lighting.
Detour signage and traffic control will be in place to guide road users during the road closure.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your ongoing patience during these works.