On select nights, over three weeks, starting 9pm Tuesday 27 April – the southbound lanes of the Riverside Expressway between Tank St and Alice St will be closed to motorists for nighttime works. Please use alternate routes.
The temporary road closures will occur on intermittent nights (detailed below) with southbound lane closures from 9.00pm until 5am the next morning. The closures are scheduled when traffic volumes are at their lowest. Daytime traffic will not be affected with all lanes open.
– Tuesday 27 April
– Wednesday 28 April
– Thursday 29 April
– Tuesday 4 May
– Wednesday 5 May
– Thursday 6 May
– Tuesday 11 May
– Wednesday 12 May
– Thursday 13 May
– Sunday 16 May
Southbound lanes on the Riverside Expressway between Tank St and Alice St will be closed while construction work occurs overhead. Motorists are encouraged to use alternative routes prior to the road closure at Tank St, however a detour will be in place via the city (see map). Access from the Alice St on-ramp to the Riverside Expressway will remain open for southbound traffic.
The temporary closure is required for safety reasons while structural steel is lifted into position over the Riverside Expressway.
Motorists can bypass the closure via:
- Go Between Bridge* or William Jolly Bridge via Merivale Street and Vulture Street
- Story Bridge
- Roma Street then Turbot Street, Edward Street and Alice Street.
*Toll waived when using the Go Between Bridge for southbound travel – only valid between 9pm and 5am on works nights when the Riverside Expressway is closed due to construction works (construction timing is dependent on weather and site conditions).
For southbound motorists who have not opted for an alternative route, a CBD detour will be in place to direct traffic around the closure and back onto the Riverside Expressway via the Alice St on-ramp. Please follow the direction of traffic control and detour signage at all times (see map).
TransLink bus route 340 (Carseldine to Woolloongabba) will be diverted via the South East Busway to Woolloongabba from 9pm, on the above-mentioned dates.
For more information, download the MyTransLink app, visit translink.com.au or call 13 12 30 anytime.
What to expect:
In addition to advance notice for motorists to use alternative routes, the following is also expected:
- Southbound lane closures and reduced speed limits on the approach to the road closure
- Detour signage and traffic control to direct motorists through the city and to the Alice Street on-ramp
- Police traffic control from 9.00pm to 12.00am at the intersections of Elizabeth St / Edward St and Turbot St / Tank St
- Engine noise from cranes lifting material within the site and on Queens Wharf Rd
- Bright portable lighting towers within the construction site
- Intermittent noisy works, including hammering and rattle guns used on steel
- Temporary road closure of Queens Wharf Rd, with access maintained for entry and exit via the Victoria Bridge entrance for authorised vehicles only
- Pedestrian movements around the city will remain unchanged.