Reminder: CBD roads to close 1 January
Destination Brisbane Consortium wishes to remind commuters, residents and visitors to Brisbane of two CBD road closures that will take effect on Sunday 1 January 2017, to enable work to begin on the Queen’s Wharf Brisbane development.
The section of William Street (between Elizabeth and Margaret Streets) will remain closed during the expected six-year construction period, while Queens Wharf Road will close permanently.
“This is an exciting time for Brisbane but these changes are needed to enable this very significant infrastructure project to go ahead,” Destination Brisbane Consortium Project Director Simon Crooks said.
“I’d like to thank Brisbane residents for their patience and understanding about these road changes.
“We’ll continue to work with state government, Brisbane City Council, and TransLink to manage impacts to motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians throughout the development.”
The 1 January road closures come after Destination Brisbane Consortium announced its demolition and enabling works contractor last week.
“Probuild will begin the demolition and enabling works in January and we expect this will take most of the year to complete,” Mr Crooks said.
“The demolition will be of the three non-heritage former government buildings at 80 George Street, 100 George Street, and the Neville Bonner Building at 75 William Street.
“This will be a slow demolition process where safety will be the highest priority, as these are buildings within the CBD that are surrounded by motorists, pedestrians, cyclists, and numerous heritage buildings.
“All heritage buildings within the site will remain protected and secured, ready to be restored and repurposed as part of the future development under the Queen’s Wharf Brisbane Priority Development Area Development Scheme.”
The bicentennial bikeway will remain open during the demolition phase.
Map 1: William Street and Queens Wharf Road closures.
Map 2: Pedestrian access around the Queen’s Wharf Brisbane precinctDownload