Hard demolition begins on former Executive building clearing the way for Queen’s Wharf Brisbane
Following months of preparation, hard demolition started today on the former government Executive Building at 100 George St, which will be removed from the Queen’s Wharf Brisbane precinct to make way for the future multi-billion-dollar integrated resort development.
The former Executive Building, the previous office of nine Queensland premiers, is the tallest building to be demolished in Brisbane’s history, standing at 15 storeys and more than 60 metres.
Set to gradually come down from the top, level-by-level, it is one of three non-heritage buildings to be demolished and removed by the end of the year.
The former Neville Bonner building at 75 Williams as well as 80 George St, which spans across Margaret Street are to be demolished to make way for Queensland’s largest development.
Destination Brisbane Consortium Project Director Simon Crooks said its appointed contractor, Probuild, is conducting the demolition work after months of preparation.
“The former Executive Building was previously stripped on the inside and outside, wrapped in scaffolding and vinyl, before a 4.5 tonne excavator was lifted onto the rooftop in preparation for hard demolition,” Mr Crooks said.
“This heavy piece of machinery will dismantle each floor from the top down.
“Rubble will be safely deposited down the lift shafts to ground level, collected by trucks that will then be covered to minimise dust, before being transported off site.
“The safety of workers, the community, and the nearby heritage buildings surrounding the site are a priority, so this demolition will be a methodical, safe, and planned process.
“We are continuing to work closely with government and road and transport operators to communicate any changes to traffic conditions and safely minimise any impacts, particularly during this process.
“By the end of the year, and subject to state government approvals, we expect the site to be ready for excavation works to begin in 2018 for the underground car park.”
- Building demolition is spilt into three core areas: soft-strip, pre-demolition, and hard demolition.
- Soft-strip is the removal of internal fittings and fixtures including furniture, carpets, ceilings, and air-conditioning ducts.
- Pre-demolition is about preparing the building’s exterior ahead of hard demolition, and includes the removal of awnings and balconies so that the building can be scaffolded and wrapped.
- Hard demolition is the removal of the building itself.
- All activities on site require approvals, which are subject to a rigorous and stringent review process
that involves a number of Queensland Government departments including the Department of State
Development, Department of Transport and Main Roads, Economic Development Queensland, and
where applicable, Brisbane City Council.
- Sequencing of hard demolition:
- the former Neville Bonner building at 75 William Street – from May 2017
- Executive building and annexe at 100 George Street – from May 2017
- 80A George Street – expected from May 2017
- Margaret Street overpass – expected from July 2017 (five weekends requiring Margaret
Street off ramp closure)
- 80B George Street – expected from July 2017.
- To minimise impacts on CBD traffic and pedestrians, trucks will only enter and depart the Queen’s
Wharf Brisbane construction site between the hours of 9.00am and 4.00pm Monday to Friday –
standard approved construction hours are 6:30am to 6:30pm Monday to Saturday.